Tuesday, February 2, 2010

PLANNING AHEAD

I enjoyed the Sunday morning service. It was nice to sit and sing and worship without having to plan. St. David's has a long history of recognizing that their clergy are well served by having Sundays to rest and maybe worship elsewhere. A few times a year (above and beyond holidays and study leave) I am given this opportunity. This past Sunday, I worshipped with Devon United Church. It was a familiar place - I now many people and they know me. It was nice and enriching. Thank you DUC!

Then quickly my mind fast forwarded to the next major season of the church year: Lent. So on Monday afternoon, I began planning - looking at the Lectionary readings, thinking about music and staring to outline themes and sermons. I find it helpful to plan a whole season at a time, so I had six Sundays before me between Ash Wednesday up to Palm Sunday.

Lent One will come up fast, as I will be away from Feb 8th to 18th learning how best to be a ministry supervisor. St. David's has applied to be a learning site and hopes to host a student intern in the fall. I will only have three days after I get back before the first Sunday of Lent is here. So an outline is essential - first of all for the church secretary who will need an order of service for the bulletin, but for me so that I can be thinking about the details while I am away.

Add to that the first wedding of 2010 that same weekend and planning ahead will hopefully make my like easier.

I have been down this road enough times, not to assume that all is done ahead of time. Things change and need to be open to change. I can plan the trip, lay out the route, but travelling it is another thing all together. I hope I am surprised along the way and will have need (opportunity) to adjust what has already been planned. That's life and it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment