Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A WEEK OF SATURDAYS

Happy New Year;
It's just a turn of a calendar page, but it reminds us of the cycles of life and the constant opportunities for fresh starts.

I had the last week of 2009 off from any formal responsibilities at the church. With the kids home from school - it felt like a week of Saturdays. And in a strange sort of way, that was kind of stressful. You see for me, as a minister, Saturday is sometimes a day off, but it can also be the last day of preparation for Sunday Worship. Every once and a while over the holidays, I would feel a flush of panic - "I'm not ready!" Then my concious mind would kick in and remember that it is (first of all) only Tuesday and (second of all) I don't have any worship prep responsibilies this week.

I like to be prepared. Truth be told, I seldom leave Sunday planning to Saturday. I try to avoid that last minute panic. But I know the feeling - and it's uncomfortable.

There is a modern proverb that says that God comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable. I'm glad to be afflicted with panic from time to time, especially when I am getting too comfortable.

This is a good message for me, at the start of a new year or at anytime!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment