Wednesday, September 1, 2010

THERE IS A TIME

I spent much of today thinking about and preparing for a funeral service in the church on Friday. The family picked a familiar passage from Ecclesiastes as one of the readings.
For everything there is a season and time and a purpose under heaven.

I do believe that to be true. I appreciate the variety that life offers and brings. And I am weary of the timing of somethings. Today was the first day back at school for my children. It was a time for a hurried morning, up a bit earlier than most of the summer. And yet for them it was only a half day. Too quick for at least one of them, who can't wait to go back tomorrow.

It is hard, isn't it when we think the timing is right, but the cosmos turns out to have a different schedule. I sometimes feel so busy, pulled in so many directions, I wonder when 'my time' will come. And then, like today, something mystical catches my eye. I paused and saw two birds interacting; they seemed to be getting along, perhaps resting, perhaps looking for the next mosquito to munch. It struck me that they knew nothing about my calendar, they only knew of this moment and they were good!

Look at the birds of the air. God cares for them. So don't worry.

Maybe it's time that I started taking that seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment